Sunday, April 22, 2012

Toads, Frogs and Polywogs


So we were walking through a pretty field near our house... it's a water shed area and has a stream running through it. We found a pond off to the side and Max made the most amazing discovery: it was full, and I'm talking dozens and dozens, of frogs and / or toads. I'm not sure which, or maybe both? Anyway...they were so cool!

Isn't he gorgeous?
It was so much fun watching the kids use long sticks to catch the frogs. Some of them were really big and a little too much for me. I just couldn't get myself to hold one; and Olivia tried, she really did, but she just squealed and screamed when they squirmed in her hands. Boston was upset with her for losing one of his 'buddies'.


It took Boston a while to catch his, but when he finally did, it was love at first sight. Can't you just see the pride in his smile? Ash was quite the pro at catching them and gave some good encouragement.


Guess who slid in the mud and fell in? Hint: she's wearing pastel 

Ashton making his best frog-face. I think it's pretty good! 

The best quote of the afternoon came from Ashton when he said: "Mom, I'd have to say this is the second best day of my life here in Germany, it's just barely behind Legoland." So now you know, spend 200 Euros at Legoland or 3 hours at the frog-pond. Your results will be pretty much the same. (I'm betting they will be talking about the frogs at family reunions 15 years from now a lot more than they will be remembering Legoland!)


Ava was not overly impressed.



Max was the real natural, of course. He is the guy you want to be with when heading outdoors. He can turn any ordinary occasion into a high adventure, creature catching, best-day-ever event. Such a fun big brother!

And there were hundreds of eggs too, which are now tadpoles. We have adopted about ten of them and Max and Ashton are raising them in a tub on my kitchen table! We're having so much fun watching the metamorphosis taking place. I think it's an important rite of passage for every kid to have some tadpoles at least once in their life...and they are definitely easier than a dog.

So grateful for the simple joys in life.

Needless to say, we make lots of trips to the frog pond these days!

3 comments:

  1. I can't get over how much Ashton and Max look alike! And baby doll......oh my gosh! Adorable! What a great post! I'm glad Ash's 2nd best day in Germany only cost you a few hours in picture development and blogging time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom thanks for say I squealed but you wouldn't even hold one

      Delete
  2. So glad i finally went on your blog!! Holy cow, Im impressed you are keeping it up! MY kids LOVED seeing all the pics and they are ready to move there with you :) What a life changing amzing adventure you are on!!! We miss you like crazy! I am biking and always think of you when Im on a sweet ride and wish you were with me! Tell your kids HI!

    ReplyDelete