Monday, October 3, 2011

Reunion

Welcome back Fall!


Tal calls this "the Chad Lewis"
thanks for the picture Amy!

I love Fall for so many reasons: FOOTBALL, (which we are missing!) 
the crisp cool air, and the beautiful colors! No doubt-- the best season ever.



Lake Blanche
The Sundial near Lake Florence

Ok you should be saying to yourself, "That looks a lot like Utah, not Germany."
Well you are right. It's been wonderful to be back on American soil, to be reunited with my boys and family, and to be able to say goodbye to an incredible man and brother. We decided to hike up to Lake Blanche in Big Cottonwood canyon on Thursday to visit one of Kevin's all time favorite places to camp, fish and commune with God. It was beautiful; we sat and remembered Kevin as we watched two moose, what looked like a mom and her son, meandering in the meadow and drinking from the lake. Unforgettable...


Kevin's memorial service was also unforgettable. It was a wonderful way to honor and say farewell to one of the best of the best. At the gravesite Abby, Kev's wife, read a few entries from Kevin's journal from when he was a young boy. It was all about his pigeons and how much he loved them. Then ten white homing pigeons were released. They circled above us one time and then flew home. It was a touching metaphor for Kevin's heading "home".


Kevin is loved by so many. It has been inspiring to read the comments on his obituary. Here is one of my very favorites. This is Kevin!
"Almost 11 months to the day before the Good Dr passed away, we rode together in the Multiple Sclerosis Bay to Bay bicycle event. For most of the 108 miles we completed that day, Kevin would yell "We ride for Glory! We ride for Megan! (my wife who has MS)" His enthusiasm, charisma and compassion for my cause (riding for my wife), was so infectious that we had tons of people chanting along with us. I'll always remember how strong of a rider he was with what seemed to be unlimited energy. His personality was exactly the same. Over the last year of his life, I enjoyed our late night chats over Taco Bell at the fire pit in his back yard, philosophizing about life and trying to solve the World's problems. He told me that faith had always come easy for him. He just knew that there was a loving Heavenly Father and that there was a plan for him. I've never seen his faith waiver. I love you Kevin! Put in a good word for me up there until we can both ride for glory again."

I look forward to our reunion someday Kev. You have made this world a better place and I'm sure you are continuing it in new realms.


To all my family here in Utah, it was wonderful to be with you again. Let's have another reunion real soon, in Deutschland!



And to my sweet Bruce, Liv, Ash, Boss and Ava in Munich--I can't wait for our reunion on Thursday. I MISS YOU SO MUCH! Thanks for making this possible Bruce. I love you--more than you'll ever know.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Christy! Just beautiful. Family IS everything. I'm so happy you. Hope we can see each other before you head back to the Motherland...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've been thinking so much about you since i heard about your brother. i haven't known what to say. when i think of myself in the same situation, i don't know what i would do. it makes me tear up just thinking of losing one of my brothers- and how especially hard it would be to see his wife and children still here without him. it seems too painful to even comprehend. i don't know how those who live life without the gospel would be able to go on. that is the thought that keeps coming to my mind- that your faith is the only thing that can help you through. i hope the messages of conference brought comfort to you and your family- and especially to your brother's wife and children.

    i know that your life in germany must have its ups and downs, but i still think it sounds like an amazing experience- kind of like another mission. some days you don't know how you can handle it one more minute and then the most amazing things happen and you can't imagine life being any better. and when the years pass and you look back at the experience, all you remember are the good times. so glad you are keeping a blog so we can have a peek at your goings-on.

    you're in our thoughts and prayers- terah and scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved seeing you today! You are a wonderful friend and I miss you so much... Thanks for taking time with me! Looking forward to some fun sightseeing when I come and visit! Love you! ~Mykin

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous photos! It was so fun to see you for a little bit, Christy! We loved hearing all about Germany and your adventures. I didn't know your brother, but from what I have read on his blog and yours, he seems like an amazing man! I am so sorry that you had to lose him so soon. Send us your new address and we will mail out our little notes...
    I love you! Give a hug to all of your sweet ones in Germany!
    Holli

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post. You have a way with words for sure - very touching. So glad you got to come back to say goodbye to your brother and to see your family as well. It was great to see you and visit for a short while!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pics and beautiful words. Your brother sounded like he was an amazing man! Thanks for sharing a bit. Also love the Chad Lewis picture... Tal is a great athlete! Miss you. What's your adrs? Post it sometime! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was so great to see you! You guys are such an amazing family! I loved seeing all of your pics and hearing about your brother! I am so sorry! It would be fun to meet your whole family as you are all just STALWART!! Love you guys!--The Dimonds

    ReplyDelete